Mary Mac Hall
Foster G. McGraw, founder of the American Hospital Supply Company, donated $1 million to The Piney Woods School. He asked that the building constructed from funds be named after his wife, Mary, and himself. Thus, the largest dormitory on campus was named MaryMac and opened in 1981 during the tenure of the school’s second president, Dr. James S. Wade.
Ralph Smith Hall
Ralph L. Smith was a lumberman who owned mills and timberland in Oregon, Washington, and northern California until the mid-1960. He was a long-time friend of Dr. Laurence C. Jones. In 1957, Mr. Smith financed the construction of a residence hall, which was opened in his honor. When Mary Mac Hall opened in 1981, Ralph Smith was closed for renovation. It was reopened in the fall of 2000.
Dulany Hall is the result of one of the most unusual wills ever written! In 1850, the Dulany family of Missouri purchased a slave who became known to the family as Aunt Lunky. After the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves, Aunt Lunky chose to stay on as nurse to the Dulany children. When her husband and two children died, she made a will bequeathing her estate to a great-grandchild of the Dulany family. Upon her death at the age of 86, that great-grandchild, Major George Dulany, donated her estate along with additional funds from the Dulany family, to Dr. Jones to build a girls’ dormitory. The building was dedicated as Dulany Hall during the 1921 Spring Commencement. It was the first permanent building on campus. A tornado tore off the top floor in 1958 (school’s founder Laurence Jones is shown standing on the top floor of the storm-damaged building). Even today the repairs made are distinguished by the two different-colored bricks.
Charles M. Schulz “Snoopy” Hall
Charles M. Schultz, creator of the beloved cartoon characters, Charlie Brown and Snoopy, was a very shy man. He was once scheduled to come speak at the school, but he called the school’s president and said that he would just have to send a check instead. In 1991, those funds built Snoopy Hall, our girl’s honors dormitory. Charles Schultz also lent his name to The Charles M. Schultz Scholarship Fund which still provides tuition for student leaders today.
Hyde Humphrey Hall
Opened in 1991, Hyde Humphrey Hall was named in honor of Albert Alexander Hyde, founder of Mentholatum and a substantial benefactor to Piney Woods, and James Humphrey, the oldest living former employee of the Mentholatum Company, who retired after 73 years of services. Mr. Hyde developed the most successful of all the Yacco Company products, Mentholatum Ointment. Mr. Hyde also financed the building of the tour buses for the early Cotton Blossom Singers in the 1920’s and 1930’s and assisted with underwriting the choir tours throughout the United States. The buses were actually the first RV’s, built to accommodate the choir members who were not allowed to stay in white hotels.
A native of Iowa (having graduated from high school in Marshalltown and earning his college degree from the University of Iowa), the school’s founder appealed to the citizens of his home state to support his efforts to construct a building to provide the students with a quality education. As a result of those donations, Iowa Hall was built in 1941, serving as a cafeteria, dormitory, and an academic building. Today, the outside has been completely renovated. When funds become available, Iowa Hall will be completed as a three-story facility.