- About Us
- Student Life
- News and Events
- Our Community
The mission of the residential living program is to create an environment that is conducive to living and learning that fosters an appreciation for diversity in all students, as well as creates a sense of belonging. The residential living managers and assistants are developing activities that encourage physical, social and cultural growth within the residence hall.
Piney Woods School has five residence halls on campus with three operational. There are two male residence halls, Mary Mac Hall and Ralph Smith Hall. The female residence halls at Dulany Hall, Hyde Humphrey Hall and Charles Schultz (Snoopy) Hall.
- Mary Mac Hall - Foster G. McGaw, founder of the American Hospital Supply Company, donated $1 million to The Piney Woods School. He asked that the building constructed from these funds be named after his wife, Mary, and himself. Thus, the largest dormitory on campus was named Mary Mac and opened in 1981 during the tenure of the schoolís second president, Dr. James S. Wade. Houses 129 boys.
- Ralph Smith Hall - Ralph L. Smith was a lumberman who owned mills and timberland in Oregon, Washington, and northern California until the mid-1960ís. He was a long-time friend of Dr. Laurence C. Jones. In 1957, Mr. Smith financed the construction of a residence hall, which was opened in his honor. When Mary Mac Hall opened in 1981, Ralph Smith closed for renovation. It was reopened in the fall of 2000. Ralph Smith is the honors dormitory for males. Houses 31 boys.
- Lloyd Hall - A boys’ dormitory was built with money donated by Dr. D. J. Harris and N.W. Harris of Chicago. The first dormitory was built of wood and burned in 1921. It was rebuilt by the Harris brothers. Over the years the focus of the building was redirected as the center for the industrial arts program, with the dry cleaners, print shop, and classrooms housed here. Current plans call for major renovation of the building to convert it back into a boys’ dormitory, housing 34 students.
- Iowa Hall - A native of Iowa (having graduated from high school in Marshalltown and earning his college degree from the University of Iowa), the schoolís founder appealed to the citizens of his home state to support his efforts to construct a building to provide the students with a quality education. As a result of those donations, Iowa Hall was built in 1941, serving as a cafeteria, a dormitory, and an academic building. Today, the outside has been completely renovated. When funds become available, Iowa Hall will be completed as a three-story girls’ dormitory, housing 62 students.
- Dulany Hall - Dulany Hall is the result of one of the most unusual wills ever written! In 1850, the Dulany family of Missouri purchased a slave who became known to the family as Aunt Lunky. After the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves, Aunt Lunky chose to stay on as nurse to the Dulany children. When her husband and two children died, she made a will bequeathing her estate to a great-grandchild of the Dulany family. Upon her death at the age of 86, Major George Dulany donated her estate, along with additional funds from the Dulany family, to Dr. Jones to build a girls’ dormitory. The building was dedicated as Dulany Hall during the 1921 Spring Commencement. It was the first permanent building on campus. A tornado tore off the top story in 1958. Even today the repairs made are distinguishable by the two different-colored bricks. Houses 68 girls.
- Hyde-Humphrey Hall - Opened in 1991, Hyde Humphrey Hall was named in honor of Albert Alexander Hyde, founder of Mentholatum and a substantial benefactor to Piney Woods, and Mr. James Humphrey, the oldest living former employee of the Mentholatum Company, who retired after 73 years of service. Mr. Hyde developed the most successful of all the Yacco Company products, Mentholatum Ointment. Houses 34 girls.
- Charles M. Schulz Hall (“Snoopy Hall”) - Charles M. Schulz, creator of the beloved cartoon characters Charlie Brown and Snoopy, was a very shy man. He was once scheduled to speak at an event at the school, but he called the school’s president and said that he couldn’t do it and would just send a check instead. Those funds built Snoopy Hall, our girls’ honors dormitory. Charles Schulz also lent his name to the Charles M. Schulz Scholarship Fund, which provides tuition for disadvantaged students today. Houses 34 girls.